In 1896, the restaurant and bar opened for business in the well-known J.J. Sullivan Hotel at its present location on East Main in Riverhead, NY. It is believed to be the oldest continuing restaurant, bar and hotel in the town of Riverhead and the North Fork. Tweed's even continued to operate through Prohibition by imaginative use of secret doors and dumbwaiters. The mahogany and marble bar originally constructed for the 1893 Exposition in Chicago still stands.
Straight out of a chapter from Riverhead's remarkable past, this landmark location has been lovingly restored to recreate a style of dining more than a century old.
Tweed's combines true local flavor with sophisticated cuisine in an atmosphere of comfort, warmth, courtesy and welcoming familiarity.
Eastern Long Island is a special place;
blessed by a long growing season, ample rain and sun. The bounty of the East End is legendary. One hundred and fifty years ago, New York City restaurants boasted about our oysters and clams, fish, duck, meat, vegetables, beer, wines and more: it's all here. At Tweed's Restaurant, we make every effort to use local products whenever possible. First, because its better; but more importantly this selection supports the local economy, which in turn supports and preserves a way of life that we treasure.
Everything old is new again...
Tweed's Restaurant & Buffalo Bar in the J.J. Sullivan Hotel serves the finest of local food specialties and wines representing the best Long Island vineyards.
Just inside the doors...
The restaurant is now restored to its original charm, featuring Victorian chandeliers, stained glass, the original stamped tin ceiling and a beautifully mantled oak fireplace. And what Buffalo Bar could be complete without a trophy head of the last bison hunted by Teddy Roosevelt in the Dakota "Badlands."